This workshop is designed for practitioners who have already had some training in compassion focused therapy (CFT). They should:
- Have attended either a two or three day training course, or equivalent (e.g. CFT supervision group);
- Be familiar with the basic evolutionary model, the role of affiliative emotion in threat regulation and the multi-component dimensions of compassion. They will also have some therapeutic experience with CFT.
If you are new to CFT, you are welcome to come to this workshop, but should do Paul’s Melbourne Introductory workshop first as a preparation for this Advanced Workshop.
The workshop provides learning opportunities to explore some of the following:
- The role of guided discovery in CFT
- Developing an insight into different forms of formulation especially those rooted in safety strategies and behaviours
- Building compassion competencies including the Compassionate Self
- Explaining and exploring multi-self in relation to emotion and emotional conflict such as the interaction between threat-based emotions such as anger, anxiety and sadness.
- Compassion and difficult emotions
- Functional analysis and engagement with self-criticism
- Compassion and the Critic
- Using method acting techniques
- Using chair-work techniques
- Engaging with shame material
Learning is via a mixture of teaching, video demonstrations and role-plays, and handouts. In this workshop emphasis is put on practising in pairs and small groups. Participants should be prepared to:
- engage in role-play where they will practice clinical skills
- bring clinical material for discussion
- engage in reflective processes with each other and with the group.
To enable participants to practice:
- CFT forms of guided discovery
- The different types of Formulation i) motivation based ii) functional emotions based iii) safety strategies
- Working with emotional conflicts in relation to compassion
- Working with self-criticism in a number of different ways
- Working with shame and resistances
- Personal practices
When? November 29-December 1, 9.30-4.30
Price: Early Bird – before Oct 31st – $890; From Nov 1st, contact email@example.com to see if places still available ($950). No further registrations after Nov 15th
Price includes morning and afternoon tea, and lunch.